Sony FX3 E-Mount Overview
With firmware update 2.0, Sony aligns the FX3 more closely with its Cinema Line workflow. Updates include advanced log shooting choices, including Cine EI options, the ability to import user LUTs, timecode syncing via an optional cable, and an easier-to-operate camera interface.
When updating from v.1.01 or earlier:
- Note your chosen settings before updating since the process will initialize the camera and will be unable to read saved settings from v.1.01
- S-Log2 will no longer be included; you must use S-Log3
- Connecting to the Imaging Edge Mobile app has been made easier (see Smartphone Registration in the Help Guide); this requires updating the Mobile app to v. 7.7 or later and registering the camera as new.
- Note that the NFC one-touch connection function will no longer be available
Capture sharp, detailed images at rates up to 4K 120p with up to 5x slow motion at 24p output. Recording options include the ability to output DCI 4K+ in 16-bit raw over HDMI to compatible recorders while simultaneously recording XAVC 4K and proxies in-camera. Internal 4K recording options include 4:2:2 10-bit color with All-Intra and Long GOP codecs.
- Cooling features like a silent fan and a heatsink dissipate warmth to enable uninterrupted recording up to 4K60
- Dual SD card slots accept both CFexpress Type A and SDXC cards for easy relay or backup recording
- Super35 1080p capture at rates up to 240p
- Now even solo shooters can keep the action in focus thanks to real-time Tracking and Eye autofocus functions made possible by AI-based algorithms plus a simple touchscreen focus function.
- Seven choices of AF Transition Speed let you rack focus, and five AF Subject Shift settings enable you to adjust the speed when shifting from a locked-on subject.
- Fast Hybrid AF uses 627 points to cover approximately 89% of the image frame
Pro audio recording options include:
- A detachable XLR adapter handle with two XLR–1/4″ TRS combo audio inputs
- A mic holder and a 3.5mm input for adding a microphone
- Up to 4-channel, 24-bit audio recording
- Sony’s Catalyst Prepare/Browse software uses shake metadata to stabilize your image
- An adjustable balance between shake compensation and image area trimming lets you fine-tune the image
Like the FX6 and the a7S III, the FX3 features:
- Full-frame, back-illuminated 12.1MP Exmor R CMOS sensor and BIONZ XR processor
- High-speed rates of 120p in 4K and 240p in HD
- A dynamic range of 15+ stops
Attributes that the FX3 has in common with the larger FX6 camera include:
- S-Cinetone, S-Log3, HLG, and Rec. 709 gamma options
- Tally lamps on the front, side, and rear
- An internal fan to prevent overheating
- A zoom lever for easy frame adjustments
Attributes that the FX3 shares with the a7S III include:
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization
- 16-bit raw output via HDMI
- S-Log2 gamma choice
- 80 to 409,6000 ISO range (expanded)
- Dual-band 2.4/5 GHz wireless connectivity
- Wired LAN link using the USB Type-C port and a separate adapter